Traveling for business or pleasure? If your home is going to be left unattended while you’re away, you can call the Sheriff’s Office (761-7869) and make arrangements for a deputy to make a security check while you are away. They will need to know what vehicles will be at your home, if someone will be coming in to feed pets or water plants, if your lights are set to come on at regular time and any other pertinent information. You’ll have additional peace of mind while you are away by arranging for regular security checks by the Santa Cruz County’s Sheriff’s Office.
While on your trip remember to follow these tips:
- Carry minimum luggage.
- Label each piece of luggage with your name and address.
- Be sure your luggage can be locked.
- While waiting, keep your luggage close to you.
- Hold your purse under your arm. Carry a wallet in an inside coat or front trouser pocket.
- Don't look vulnerable or lost. Walk with a purpose and stay alert to what's happening around you.
- Leave important non-travel papers, such as your social security and credit cards at home.
- If traveling to a foreign country, photocopy all documents, including passport, credit cards and tickets, before leaving home and store copies in a hotel safe.
- Learn the location of hotel exits.
- Ask the hotel about the safety of the neighborhood and which areas to avoid.
- Ask the bellman for directions and costs before taking a cab.
- Use traveler's checks and credit cards instead of cash whenever possible.